How to Create Glowing Skin with Bronze Makeup
by Ivy Boyd
Deep bronze or copper eye and lip colors can look intimidating, but they really do give you a gorgeous glow.
When I was younger, I idolized J. Lo. I loved her style and I would do “J. Lo’s Booty Workout” from magazines, hoping to become more…ahem, like her.
Well the booty workouts did not pay off. I never became “Jenny From the Block.” But what I was able to emulate was her signature bronze makeup look, pioneered by my makeup idol, Scott Barnes.
For a glowing summer look like this, dewy skin is a must. Try not to over powder and make friends with a luminizer. Cream products will also serve you well as they will melt into your skin, appearing both natural and glowing. Check out my video below to see how I got this fresh, perfect-for-summer look and follow my step-by-step directions.
- Use cream bronzer to contour and add warmth to the face
- Apply a pink cream blush for a natural, flushed look.
- Apply a liquid highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones for a dewy look. Apply a little to the brow bone as well as well as the bridge of your nose and along the edges of your top lip.
- Set everything with a dusting of translucent powder.
- Apply shimmery bronzer where the sun would normally hit your face.
- Apply a bronze cream shadow all over the lid.
- Use a matte bronzer to define the crease of your eyelid.
- Highlight the inner eye corners with a metallic gold shadow.
- Line the upper and lower lash lines with a soft, dark brown eyeliner. Smudge the liner with a dense brush for a soft, smoky look.
- Darken the crease of your eyelid with a golden brown shadow.
- Press a copper pigment onto the center of the lid.
- Apply mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
- Apply a brown or rust-tone lip color or stain. Top with a shimmery, bronze gloss. If you want, you can deepen your lip color with a brick red shade.
I used the following products to create a look that the Gigli star would be proud of:
- Cream bronzer: Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Cream Bronzer in Rich Bronze
- Cream blush: NYX Cosmetics Cream Blush in Glow
- Liquid luminizer: Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminzer in Kitten
- Translucent setting powder: Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder
- Matte and shimmery bronzers: Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer, Too Faced Sun Bunny Bronzer
- Bronze cream shadow: Maybelline Color Tattoo 24HR Eyeshadow in Bad to the Bronze
- Gold and golden brown powder shadows: Urban Decay shadows in Half Baked, Smog (both found in the Naked palette)
- Dark brown eyeliner pencil: NYX Cosmetics Eye/Eyebrow pencil in Dark Brown
- Black mascara: Benefit They’re Real
- Bronze lipstain: Tarte Rise & Shine Natural Lip Stain & Lip-Enhancing Lipgloss in Nude (a similar pick would be CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain Lip Color in Cinnamon Smile)
- Bronze lipgloss: Loreal Colour Riche Le Gloss in Chocolate Obsession
- Brick red lipstick: Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Red Velvet
- Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
- Sephora Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush
- Sephora Pro Precision Smudge Brush #29
- Sephora Pro Crease Brush #10
- EcoTools Powder Brush
- Sonia Kashuk Small Duo Fibre Multipurpose Stippling Brush
Get more makeup tips from Ivy at Wake Up for Makeup.