How To Find The Best Lipstick Shade For Your Skin Tone
by Maggie Dickman
Lipstick can pull a look together, but picking out the right shade can be a bit of a task. We picked out the best color for you, and it’s a serious game-changer.
Lipstick is one of those final-touch things that can pull an entire look together. But with (literally) thousands of tints and shades to pick from, it may seem impossible to pick which one works best for you.
Don’t worry — picking a shade isn’t as difficult as you’d think. Your first step is determining whether your skin has warm or cool undertones. Here’s the easiest test: Do you typically lean toward silver jewelry, or do you tend to prefer gold gems? If you lean towards silvers, you’re more than likely a cool gal. Gold? You probably have warm undertones.
Another way to tell is to look at the inside of your wrist. Are your veins appearing blue or purple? You’re cool toned. Green? You’re on the warm side.
Once you have that figured out, matching your lipstick will be a breeze. Lipsticks with blue undertones are perfect for all you ladies with cool skin tones, and brighter reds are meant for all you warm toned gals. Now it’s time to go rock that uber stunning smile with these bold lipsticks!
Fair + Cool
- Play them up!: Ladies, it’s time to have some fun with this one. Bold reds are seriously standout, and if there is a hint of cool, there’s no way it won’t look like a dream. In the words of T-Swift, that “red lip classic” will never go out of style.
- The perfect shade for you: Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick – Poison Apple, $24
Fair + Warm
- Play them up!: Pale pinks will be your go-to — anything from a brighter baby pink to a mauve-hinted dusty rose is what you need to add to your makeup collection ASAP.
- The perfect shade for you: Butter LONDON Lippy Liquid Lipstick, Tickled Pink, $18
Medium + Cool
- Play them up!: Your skin will seriously glow when you pop a dark berry shade on your lips. Not only is this shade perfect for winter, but it’s also perfectly wearable for the warmer months, too!
- The perfect shade for you: NARS Pure Matte Lipstick, Volga – Deep Aubergine, $28
Medium + Warm
- Play them up!: It’s time to experiment with the coolest of shades. Lean toward light brown or sandy colors to add a bit of “oomph” to your naturally glowing skin.
- The perfect shade for you: Palladio Velvet Matte Cream Lip Color- Raw Silk, $10
Darker + Cool
- Play them up!: You’re seriously going to want to go bright with this one. Feel free to pick out any color that carries a hint of cool (we love Lupita’s orange!), and don’t be afraid to pull out all the stops with those bold shades. It’s time to have some fun!
- The perfect shade for you: NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick – Orange County, $7
Darker + Warm
Play them up!: A vivid berry with lighter red undertones will be perfectly standout — in the best way possible.
The perfect shade for you: Bobbi Brown Luxe Lip Color, Rose Berry, $35
Which lipstick look fits you best?