Master Modern Goth Makeup With This Chic, Edgy Tutorial
Dark, moody beauty looks have been spotted on everyone from Rihanna to Kendall Jenner. If you're feeling bold, this is the look to try.
Celebrities and runways can be our greatest source of inspiration—but sometimes their edgy, ultra-modern looks can full hard to pull off in real life. Luckily, the modern goth look has been replicated by street style mavens everywhere, whether it's in the form of chokers, all black ensembles, or super trendy dark makeup. If you're looking for a way to replicate the moody, matte beauty trend, look no further than this easy step-by-step makeup tutorial from makeup artist Kati Douglas.
Follow these steps:
1. Fill in your brows using an angled brush and a brow gel or powder. We used Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Auburn, $18.
2. Use concealer and a concealer brush to clean up the area around the brow bone for a fresh look. Highlight under the brow with a light, shimmery shade, tracing the brow bone from arch to end. We used Morphe Concealer in Nude, $4.99.
3. Apply a matte taupe shade to the crease of your eyelid with a small, fluffy brush. Go over the lid and crease with a darker shade, like a satin-finish purple. Highlight the inner corner of the eye with a creamy matte shadow. We used colors from the Morphe Fall Into Frost Palette, $22.99.
4. Using a matte black liquid liner and applicator or angled brush, trace the upper lash line. We used NYX Matte Liquid Liner, $6.99.
5. Apply primer to the rest of your face, and use a makeup sponge to apply your favorite matte foundation. We used Milani Prime Perfection, $9.99 and Chanel Perfection Lumiere in 40 Beige, $60. Conceal under eyes, the center of the nose, and chin. Set with powder. We used Morphe Concealer in Nude, $4.99.
6. Apply bronzer to the cheekbones only. Go lightly, adding warmth only instead of a fully contoured look, as this look calls for paler, cooler tones. Apply highlighter to the top of the cheek bones and center of the nose. We used Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow in 50, $58 and City Color Highlight Trio, $5.99.
7. Apply a dark, rosy blush shade in line with the bronzer. Do not move too far onto the apples of the cheeks. We used Chanel Powder Blush in Rose Bronze, $45.
8. Using a dark lip liner, line the top and bottom lip, lightly feather the color to the middle. Finish by applying a dark lip stain to the top and bottom lip. Use a setting spray to make your look last longer. We used NYX Suede Matte Lip Liner in Prune, $4, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania, $6, and NYX Matte Finishing Spray, $8.
Now you've completed your modern goth makeup look. Go be as fierce as you look!