The Perfect Hippie Makeup for a Groovy Halloween
by Claudia Williams
As the Halloween season rolls around, we begin our quest for a costume that will both turn heads and get us the most candy. Should we dress up as the Spice Girls with our best friends, throw on an edgy witch hat, or dress up as a hippie with bell-bottoms? For those of you who dream of tie-dye, Woodstock, and throwing up peace signs, here is how you can apply hippie makeup so you look as if you stepped right out of 1969.
The Disco Era may be long gone, but the styles of the ’60s and ’70s are back and better than ever. Flare jeans, fringe vests, long wavy locks, and wide-brimmed floppy hats are huge this season, so it only makes sense to try out hippie makeup this Halloween. This look is super simple for an easy day-to-costume-party transition.
Before you start, make sure you have neutral eyeshadow primer, light-color eyeshadow, light aqua eyeshadow, a small flat brush, dark blue eyeshadow, a pencil brush, white eyeliner, mascara, and a natural cheek color. Not sure where to start? Be sure to check out some of our favorites here.
1. Apply a neutral eyeshadow primer all over your eyelid from lash to brow.
2. Highlight underneath the brow with a light-color eyeshadow.
3. Using a flat brush, apply a light aqua color to the eyelid, stopping at the crease.
4. Apply a deeper aqua to the crease of the eye using a blending brush.
5. Add some definition to the look with a darker blue eyeshadow. Use a pencil brush to smudge eyeshadow along the lash line and into the outer corner of the eye.
6. Use a flat defining brush and the same blue-green color to line your lower lash line as well.
7. To make your eyes appear larger, line your inner rim with white eyeliner.
8. Apply mascara to your top and bottom lashes.
9. Swipe on a natural cheek color.
10. Finish the look with a nude gloss to keep your face looking fresh and natural.
Now go turn on some Jimi Hendrix tunes, put on a whimsical headband, and have yourself a hippie Halloween. If you find yourself wanting to up the ante this year, give this boho hairstyle a go to really make a statement.