Top Makeup Tips from Our Makeup Artists
The seven top makeup tips from our makeup artists are designed to help you achieve that effortless appearance that looks as though you’re wearing no makeup at all. Of course, there’s always a time and place for a little obvious glam.
1. Contouring is your friend. You can accentuate your best features and downplay less desirable ones. Don’t like your nose? Apply contour makeup to change the way it appears to others. Love your cheekbones? Apply highlighting and make them even more stunning.
2. Eyes or lips—never both. You’ve seen the disasters on the red carpet when actresses try for a seductive Winona Ryder–eye vamp but then add a Goldie Hawn pout. The clown effect is not attractive. Go with bright red or pink lips during the day; at night use exotic eye makeup.
3. Skincare makes makeup easier. Don’t leave makeup on too long and look for organic removers to minimize the damage to your skin from drying chemicals. Moisturize nightly to keep your skin healthy and smooth. Using products with antioxidants can help improve your skin’s elasticity and keep your skin looking fresh and youthful.
4. Blend. Nothing looks worse than foundation that stops at the chin or neck, or eye shadow that shows clear lines between different shades. Use brushes to blend any lines until they disappear and you have a smooth, flawless appearance.
5. Take a break. Once a week or twice a month, declare a “no-makeup day.” Give your skin a chance to breathe, and moisturize a little extra to eliminate the beginnings of fine lines and wrinkles. This is a great time to use some compresses on your eyes to reduce puffiness and revitalize your skin.
6. Prep. If you make sure your skin is ready to receive makeup, getting it off again will be that much easier. Use a primer on your eyelids before applying eye makeup; try using a creamy lip liner to fill in your lips before applying lipstick; and use a combination blush and bronzer stick for a natural look instead of liquid foundation covered by powder blush.
7. Don’t overdo it during the day—but at night go wild. If you love to go clubbing, exaggerate your makeup a little because in the funky light of most clubs, an ordinary makeup application looks faded and ghostly. Accentuate your eyes and add an extra layer of mascara.
These seven top makeup tips from our makeup artists can help you get the best results every time and keep your skin healthy, too.