Galaxy Heart Nails Tutorial
Pair a popular technique with a much-loved shape, and you have a nail art design that’s simply out of this world. Follow along with these simple steps to get the look yourself!
This is a design I thought had been done many times, but when I Googled it I realized it isn't actually that well known. A tutorial has never been created for it, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get one out there. Galaxy heart nails are a relatively easy design to pull off, and I think they look amazing. Truth be told, I'm a sucker for all sorts of heart designs, but this is probably one of my favorites. Let's get started!
First, gather the supplies you'll need for this design: white nail polish, black nail polish or a black nail art pen, a makeup sponge, tweezers, dark blue nail polish, light blue nail polish, light purple nail polish, a thin nail art brush and a dotting tool (optional).
1. After applying a base coat to prep your nails, paint all of them white.
2. Using a thin nail art brush and black nail polish or a black nail art pen, draw a heart in the center of each nail. You could just leave it at this if galaxy heart nails seem too complex, but why not give it a go?
3. To apply the "galaxy" colors, use a very small piece of sponge (it doesn't need to be bigger than the head of a pin). I used tweezers to hold my bit of sponge. Use the sponge to pick up a bit of dark blue nail polish, and gently sponge it on the black hearts. Apply light blue polish on top of the dark blue areas, gently blending the colors together.
4. Go over your blues with a purple nail polish, making sure you don't completely obscure the other colors. You want it to look like a soft blend of all three shades. Don't worry if you go over the edges of the heart—you can clean this up at the end.
5. Bring some light back to your galaxy by gently sponging on a bit of white nail polish. You just want a tiny bit to highlight.
6. Using a dotting tool or the tip of a nail art brush, draw stars on your nails. You can also use the white to touch up any messy areas where the color bled outside the heart shape. Once dry, finish off with a top coat to seal your design and make the colors pop a bit more!
Out of this world, isn't it? Give it a try today! Here's a Pin-able graphic you can use to save this look for later.
For more nail art ideas from Alice, visit One Nail to Rule Them All.