To create a rich pattern like this damask nail design, start by choosing two contrasting polishes. I chose a new China Glaze color Feel the Breeze and a black polish. You'll also need a very narrow detailing brush. Of course, be sure you start the design with a base coat to protect your nails from staining. Here's how to do it.
1. Polish your nails with your first color. The standard is two coats.
2. Near the base of your nail, paint a small, pointy oval in black as I've done.
3. On each side of the oval, paint curls coming off it as shown. Try to keep them even with each other to mimic the symmetry of the damask pattern.
4. Add little circles on the end of each curl.
5. Repeat this on the bottom half of the oval, but have the curls curl in the other direction. Remember to add the little circles on the ends!
6. Above the first oval, add another. Depending on the length of your nail, the second oval may need to be bigger or smaller, whichever size works best for you!
When working with such small detail, you may notice that your black polish looks lumpy. You can see some of this in my step-by-step photos. However, this can be smoothed out if you use a thick quick-dry top coat at the end of your process. I prefer Seche Vite to finish off all my designs!
For more nail art designs from Katy, go to Nailed it.