While a French tip is more traditional, there's no reason you can't play around with nail art and do something special with your tips. With spring in my sights, this floral display just feels right. You've seen my previous floral nail art, and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback for it! So I thought I'd use a similar technique, inspired by Helen Mirren's dress, below.
Photo: Diane Cohen/FAMEFLYNET
You'll only need a dotting tool and about four pastel polish colors for this look. I used grayed-out pastel colors from Precision Nail Lacquers: Walking on Air, On Cloud 9, and Enlightenment. I also used OPI's Gargantuan Green Grape. I used soft pastels, but you don't need to limit yourself to these light shades. You can opt for a more vibrant color palette if that's what your spring looks like. To glam it up, try adding rhinestones to the center of your flowers (instead of just a yellow dot). The sparkle will be fantastic with that!
Here's how to do it:
1. Apply a base coat.
2. Dot flower shapes around your free edge in one color. With this first color, place the flowers randomly around the free edge of each nail, so the first color isn't touching a flower of the same color.
3. Repeat for your second color, using the dotting tool to create little clusters of flower shapes.
4. Layer in additional flowers using your third polish.
5. Then fill in the empty spots with your last color. For this step, your flowers won't necessarily be flower-shaped. That's okay...just use them to fill in empty spots.
6. Add yellow dots to the center of each flower shape and finish with a top coat.
Here's a Pin-able version with all the steps and a finished image. Happy spring!
Want more nail art ideas from Katy? She has plenty over at Nailed It.