#Movies & TV
8 Foreign Actors to Watch
by Jennifer Lafferty
There are tons of interesting foreign-born actors in Hollywood, but these eight are slated to be some of the most sought-after actors of our time.
These talented, charismatic actors have already tasted success, appearing in high-profile films; but they’re all still on the cusp of major stardom. From Spanish-born Daniel Brühl to Swedish export Alicia Vikander, check out these eight foreign actors to watch for.
1. Alicia Vikander: This luminous Swedish beauty has appeared in some major films over the past few years, including 2012’s Anna Karenina, but it wasn’t until her Golden Globe–nominated performance in Ex Machina that she was perceived as one of Hollywood’s hottest young actors. The 27-year-old has four prominent films debuting this year, including the newest Bourne franchise sequel.
2. Gael García Bernal: Mexican-born actor/filmmaker Gael García Bernal was a teenage heartthrob in his native country, acting in soap operas, and went on to star in such celebrated Spanish-language films as The Motorcycle Diaries. Bernal is lesser known for his English-language films, but he recently impressed critics with his performance in the Amazon series Mozart in the Jungle.
3. Léa Seydoux: This enigmatic French-born actress has several popular American films to her name, like 2009’s Inglourious Basterds, but since starring opposite Daniel Craig in the latest Bond flick Spectre, her career is hotter than ever. While she continues to work on indie pictures, Seydoux is also in talks to star in such high-profile movies as Channing Tatum’s Gambit.
4. Daniel Brühl: Born in Barcelona to a Spanish mother and a German TV director father, Daniel Brühl has steadily built an exciting resume with films like the recent historical drama Woman in Gold. Brühl is about to become much better known to mainstream U.S. audiences with his role as Baron Zemo in the much-anticipated Captain America: Civil War.
5. Gugu Mbatha-Raw: British–South African rising star Gugu Mbatha-Raw was born in England, where she started acting in series television. Since launching her career in America, the statuesque beauty has made a diverse collection of films ranging from the historical drama Belle to sports biopic Concussion, and she just completed the Civil War drama Free State of Jones, starring alongside Matthew McConaughey.
6. Rebecca Ferguson: Born in Sweden to a British mother, Rebecca Ferguson was an accomplished actress overseas for years, starring in projects like the BBC series The White Queen. Since costarring in Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation, Ferguson is now taking Hollywood by storm, with an impressive lineup of films including another Mission: Impossible and the thriller The Girl on the Train.
7. Kit Harington: This sexy 29-year-old Brit, best known for TV’s Game of Thrones, has branched out to feature film over the past few years. While most of his movies have been action-adventure flicks, his upcoming star-studded drama The Death and Life of John F. Donovan is the kind of project that could help Harington transition to more serious films.
8. Cara Delevingne: Born to an aristocratic British family, actress/model Cara Delevingne appeared in a smattering of UK productions before bursting onto the scene in Hollywood. Best known for John Green’s Paper Towns, she is about to become a very familiar face to American audiences with five films set to debut this year alone, including the highly anticipated Suicide Squad.