DIY Crystal Necklace
by Kelly Anderson
Raw crystals and gems are unique and beautiful, especially when they’re used in jewelry. Right now, you’ll see lots of raw crystal necklaces, rings and earrings in shops; each a one-of-a-kind piece. In this DIY project, I’ll show you how to make a gorgeous crystal necklace perfect to layer with your necklace stack.
For this DIY jewelry project, feel free to choose any color of quartz and any metal color you’d like. I went with clear quartz crystals and yellow gold, but you can mix and match to suit your style. A tip before you start on your crystal necklace: Be sure you get the quartz predrilled so you can easily thread them like beads. Etsy has a ton of great options, but you can also check local jewelry supply shops and crafts stores. Here are the supplies you’ll need:
1. Start with the best part of your crystal necklace—the pendant portion. Arrange the crystals how you want them on your necklace. I used one large crystal and two smaller ones, so that they would make a chevron shape. Align the crystals, and string the wire through the drilled holes. Trim the wire so that there is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of extra wire on each side.
2. Using your chain nose pliers, twist the extra wire into a circle or small hook. Repeat for both sides. This will secure and close off the crystal pendant while also creating a connector for the necklace chain. Your pendant is complete!
3. Now you’ll complete your chain. Measure out the length of chain that you would like for your necklace; you can make it as short or as long as you like. I made this one 20 inches long. Cut the chain in half so that you have two equal-length pieces (two 10-inch pieces are shown here).
4. Using your chain nose pliers, pry open a jump ring and attach it to the end of one length of chain. On the other length, add another jump ring and slide the lobster clasp onto it. Close the jump ring tight with the pliers.
5. Now you’re ready to connect your crystal pendant to the chains. Use your pliers to attach a jump ring to the hook you created on one side of the crystal pendant, and connect it to one of the lengths of chain. Repeat on the other side.
Pair your new crystal necklace with a casual tee, and wear it with other thin gold necklaces for a layered, boho look! Here’s a Pin-able version with the finished image and some steps for reference later.
For more DIY jewelry projects from Kelly, go to A Sparkle Affair.