DIY Double Pearl Ring
by Kelly Anderson
Pearls elevate every outfit, whether it’s a prim cocktail dress or your favorite pair of rough-and-tumble destroyed denim cutoffs. That’s because pearl jewelry design offers the perfect blend of classic style with modern edge. The DIY pearl ring project here features a chic double pearl style. It’s designer ring meets DIY—a fun and fashionable little project you’ll love making and wearing. Here’s how.
Making your own double pearl ring is an easy DIY project. Simply decide what size half-drilled pearls you want to use and choose gold, silver or copper metal wire as the ring portion. Make sure the wire you get will be small enough to fit into the drilled holes in the pearls.
- E6000 craft glue
- Wire cutters
- Half-drilled pearls (10-millimeter and 8-millimeter used here)
- Metal wire (24-gauge gold wire used here)
- Ring mandrel (optional)
1. Measure the size of ring you want by twisting the wire around a ring mandrel. I am generally a size 6, so I made my wire that size. If you don’t have a mandrel, don’t worry. Simply wrap the wire around your finger and measure that way.
2. Cut the wire after you’ve measured your ring size. Now, if you are making a double open ring, cut off about 1/4 of the ring and keep 3/4 of your ring size. This will help when making the open ring wrap around your finger just right.
3. Put the craft glue on both ends of the wire where you want the pearls to go. Slide the pearls, using the half-drilled opening, onto the glued ends of the wire. Don’t worry if the glue is pushed outside the pearl; once it’s dry, you can easily snip it right off. You can do same-size pearls or asymmetrical pearls in any size here; both will look great. I like the asymmetrical look of a big pearl and a small pearl.
4. Let the pearls dry on the wire overnight. Your ring needs time to set. This will ensure the pearls are nice and secure on the thin wire and ready for you to slide the ring on your finger. Once dry, you can wear the pearl ring, and it’ll look like the pearls are floating!
Experiment with different wire shapes! I made a second ring that’s a double twist with pearls on each end. Each puts a fun twist on your classic pearl designs.
For more DIY jewery projects from Kelly, go to A Sparkle Affair.