DIY Polka Dot Sneakers
While heels and sandals will always have a place in my heart (and on my feet), it’s time to give my tootsies what they really want: comfort and style. These DIY sneakers—inspired by Kate Spade—will be the finishing touch to my flirty spring looks.
Spring, to me, is all about color and pattern, and this DIY shoe is a mixture of both! The Kate Spade for Keds collection makes me swoon, but the price tag has kept me from buying a pair. With a few minutes to spare and some left over acrylic paint from a recent DIY project, I created one of my easiest projects to date. With the arrival of spring, it's officially time I retire those winter boots and update my shoes. Here's what I did.
- White Sneakers or slip-on sneakers
- Acrylic or fabric paint color of your choice
- Small flat paint brush
- Round foam brush
- Paper plate
1. Put a dollop of paint onto a paper plate. Dip the foam brush into the paint. Dab it a few times on the plate to remove any excess paint. Carefully stamp the brush onto the shoe in one swift motion. I used a round foam brush, but you can make freehand dots, too. For smaller dots, use the eraser end of a pencil.
2. Continue to dip the brush in paint and dab on more dots with your foam brush. For a clean design, I chose to paint only those areas where I could get a full circle on the canvas.
3. Using a small flat paint brush, fill in the white space on the dots if necessary.
4. Let both shoes dry for a few hours.
Save this project for later with this Pin-able version of the project and step-by-step instructions:
For more DIY fashion ideas from Samantha, go to The Brunette One.