How to Wear a Denim Vest for Any Occasion
by Crystalin An
I’ve been a long time fan of the denim vest, but not until recently have we really seen them pop up in stores and all over the Web. These sleeveless denim jackets have really come along way in both style and the way we style them. They’re no longer synonymous with cowboy boots and country music; instead the denim vest is becoming just as versatile as the beloved denim jacket and a staple in our wardrobes.
Whether it’s distressed, with pockets, dark wash, light wash, cropped, or oversized, there’s a denim vest for everyone and every outfit. Because it’s denim, you can throw it on over almost anything. It’s the perfect light layer during the transition from summer to fall and adds the perfect edgy touch to any outfit.
Whether you dress it up with a skirt like I did above, or dress it down with black skinny jeans as shown in the outfit below, the denim vest has proven to be a versatile piece all year round and a classic to add to your wardrobe.
Five tips on how to make the denim vest work for you:
- Add it as a layer to a simple outfit to add texture and visual interest.
- Use a blue denim vest as a pop of color to a monochromatic outfit.
- Until you’ve mastered the denim on denim trend, stay away from pairing a blue denim vest with blue jeans. If you must go denim-on-denim, why not choose a white or black denim vest to go with your blue jeans?
- Pair a denim vest with a feminine skirt or dress to balance out your look.
- When buying a denim vest, try and stick to neutral colors like gray, black, white, and navy. You’ll get more wear out of neutral pieces.
1. Rag and Bone Tattered Denim Vest 2. T By Alexander Wang Classic T-Shirt 3. Red Valentino Wool Mini Skirt 4. Aquazzura Chelsea Lace-Up Leather Sandals 5. Proenza Schouler Striped Top 6. Rag and Bone Burney Denim Vest 7. Repetto Leather Ballet Flats 8. Paige Mid Rise Skinny Jeans
Find more fashion inspiration from Crystalin at In the City with Crystalin.