Make Your Own Wall-Mounted Jewelry Holder
You no longer have an excuse to let your jewelry pile up on your nightstand or to waste time untangling necklaces and earrings from that drawer in your dresser. This easy DIY jewelry holder will let you showcase your favorite baubles while keeping you organized!
If you're anything like me, you often find your favorite necklaces strewn about your nightstand or on the counter next to your sink. This season, focus on organizing your favorite accessories with this DIY jewelry holder. It's perfect for those jewelry pieces that you want within reach day in and day out. You'll need to commit about 24 hours to the project to allow for drying time, but we promise the wait will be worth it. Remember, to prevent tarnishing, make sure to store your more precious or valuable jewelry in bags in a safe spot.
Materials: one 6-foot length of 1×2" treated pine board, wood stain, wood finish, metal hooks, hook-and-loop command strips
1. Pick up the treated pine board at your local hardware store, and ask them to cut the lumber to the lengths you want. I went to Home Depot, where it's a free service. Sand any rough edges. Stain as many pieces of wood as you want to hang. For the purpose of my storage area, I made only one holder. Follow the instructions on the stain, and let dry overnight.
2. Spray with a polyurethane/polycrylic wood protective finish, and again let it dry overnight.
3. Equally space the hooks along the base of the board. I measured and marked every 1 inch, but feel free to adjust that as desired. You should be able to fit up to 20 hooks on one 12-inch piece of wood.
4. It's time to start screwing the hooks into the board. But if you have trouble screwing them in as I did, start a hole with a hammer and a nail similar in size to the screw on the hook. Don't hammer the nail in completely, just enough to start the hole.
5. Now, in the hole you just started, screw a hook into place.
6. Making sure all the hooks are pointing the same direction, continue placing hooks until you've completed the entire board.
7. Following the directions on the package, attach hook-and-loop command strips to the back of the board and the wall. Remember, the hooks should open away from the wall. Finally, secure your DIY jewelry holder to the wall.
Perfection. Now you're ready to start hanging your necklaces, earrings, or bracelets.
For more DIY home decor ideas from Samantha, go to The Brunette One.