Shopping Around for the Curvy Bride
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: being anything bigger than a size 14 is a challenge, especially when it comes to special occasion wear. I recently had the pleasure of wedding dress shopping with my friend Suzanne. Our experience tracking down the perfect dress solidified what I’ve always believed—you have to shop around.
Here are a few of my favorite online retailers:
- One of my favorite places we found was online—Sydney’s Closet. They offer bridal, bridesmaid, prom, and party dress collections in sizes up to 32W. The staff is wonderfully helpful and they recently opened a store in a suburb of Saint Louis, MO if want to touch, feel, and try some dresses on.
- Evans London launched their new bridal line this spring with an incredible collection of dresses, wide leg trousers, pencil skirt suits, empire lace tops, beaded silk Georgette floor-length dresses, jewelry with extensions for bracelets and necklaces, and wide-width bridal footwear too. The prices here are all under $300 U.S. Leave it to the Brits to up the choices for curvy fashion!
- Zaftique sizes up from OZ–6Z and they have the most amazing fluid jersey dresses with Grecian goddess lines and a curvy chart for advice on which styles are best for your silhouette. All dresses come in under $200.
- Isaac Mizrahi has whipped up a small collection for Target in sizes up to 18 missy (“missy” means that there is not as much ease in the areas really curvy girls may need). The styling is modern and the price is right with most dresses starting at $89.99!
- Oodles of curvy celebs shop at IGIGI and why not, when styles are fabulous, sizes go from 14/16 to 30/32, and they have great price points?
- Kiyonna is another one worth checking out. They have a truly special high-quality lace dress in a shorter length for $288, and longer length for $420.
- I love the contemporary style and ability to put together your own dress, neckline, length, and all at Coco Myles. Best of all, they follow the celeb trends (think Kathryn Heigl).
- Be sure to check out The Formal Source and David’s Bridal for curvy offerings, both online and in their stores around the country. For ultimate luxury and service, head to places such as Kleinfeld’s, the uber-famous bridal store in NYC where women fly in from all over the world, and—surprise—they have myriad plus-size gowns in to try on in sizes 18 and 20W!
- Custom gowns are a great idea for curvy customers. Barbara Deckert Couture makes gorgeous wedding dresses for all sizes.
Related Story: Here Comes the Curvy Bride
Photo courtesy of EvansLondon