Upcycle An Old T-Shirt Into A Charming Tassel Tank Top
Plain t-shirts are awesome, but why stop there? This easy craft project will show how to make a flirty tassel tank top out of a basic tee.
There's nothing better than a basic cotton t-shirt. It's a no-fuss garment that's extremely comfy and breathable—perfect for warmer months! And with the right creative flair, a simple tee can be turned into a statement piece.
This is where tassels—and this tutorial—come in. You'll learn how to make a charming tank top out of a plain t-shirt thanks to some super cute handmade tassels. You'll also be able to channel this $59 designer tassel t-shirt for a fraction of the price. How's that for budget-friendly fashion?
- Plain t-shirt
- Fabric scissors
- Embroidery thread
- Fabric glue
- Scrap cardboard*
- Lace trim
- Old magazine, large piece of cardboard, etc.
* The size of the scrap cardboard will depend on the size of your finished tassels. For this project, I used a rectangle piece measuring 2.25 x 2".
1. Cut off each sleeve along the inside of each shoulder seam. This will turn the t-shirt into a tank top.
2. If you'd like a crop top, cut across the bottom of the shirt. This can be as high as you'd like.
3. Lay out the shirt on a flat surface. Insert a larger piece of cardboard, paper, or old magazine into the shirt. Using fabric glue, adhere lace trim in a "V" shape along the chest area. Take your time figuring out the placement before adding glue.
4. Wrap embroidery thread around the cardboard rectangle 20 to 25 times. Make sure each wrap is nice and snug, but not too tight.
5. Carefully remove the bundle of thread and place it on a short strand (left). The shorter thread should be in the top 1/4 of the bundle. Tightly wrap and tie the thread around the bundle two to three times (right).
6. Cut away the excess thread. Chop off the bottom of the bundle. And just like that, you've got a tassel.
7. Make six or eight more tassels, depending on your preference. Feel free to use however many colors you'd like. Lay them out on the tank top to determine the position of each one.
8. Hand sew each tassel onto the top with a sewing needle and a strand of matching embroidery thread. Along the inside of the shirt, tie a tight knot and cut away the excess.
Once you've finished adding all the tassels, your new top is ready for a spin.
Tutorial Photos: Kirsten Nunez
Styled Photos: Haruka Sakaguchi