Healthy Snacks for Kids
There are tons of ways that you can incorporate healthy options into the snacks your kids are already eating, or you can create new snacks that are sure to be a hit with your kids. Some fun and easy snack ideas that you can incorporate into your kids current snack time that feature whole foods include:
- Homemade frozen creamy fruit juice pops. Take your child’s favorite fruit juice, and mix it in a blender with vanilla yogurt. Pour it into a Popsicle mold and freeze for a tasty, cool “creamsicle” treat with less sugar than store bought varieties.
- Veggie sticks with dips. Many kids will eat their favorite veggies raw when they won’t eat them cooked. Try slicing them thin like French fries and providing a variety of dips. You can make your own by mixing ranch dressing with plain yogurt or cottage cheese. Serve with cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, julienne carrots, celery sticks, and sugar snap peas, or other veggies your child likes.
- Fruit with vanilla yogurt dips. Offer full fat, organic vanilla yogurt with fruit to make a tasty “fondue” for the kids. Graham crackers are a hit with this dip too. Try mixing honey with cream cheese for a special dipping treat.
- Fruit kabobs. Fruit on a skewer is fun for kids to create and nosh on too.
- Smoothies. Smoothies are an easy way to create healthy drinks. Try sneaking in some fresh spinach (you can’t taste it!).
- Peanut butter. What’s not to love about this classic? Offer natural, trans fat free peanut butter with crackers or mini pitas. Put peanut butter in smoothies for extra nutrition, or make a peanut butter cup shake with milk, peanut butter, honey, ice and a tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Baked sweet potato. Slice sweet potatoes thinly and sprinkle with a little sea salt for a healthier potato chip. Or slice them into “fries,” toss with olive oil and bake. Kids love these and they’re packed with nutrition.
- Beans, beans. Hummus makes a healthy and delicious dip for whole grain breads, crackers, and veggies. Refried beans are also great for dipping tortilla chips in. Try mild salsa mixed in beans with a sprinkle of cheese on top.