How to Become a Fashion Blogger: 14 Quick Tips for Success
by Katelyn Cheek
Fashion blogging isn’t a new concept. These days it’s a road well traveled—in heels and dream-worthy wardrobes, of course. While it may sound like a glamorous job, it takes hard work. Do you have what it takes to start your own blog? If you’re up for the challenge, here are 14 quick tips on how to become a fashion blogger.
Fashion bloggers have redefined personal style in a way retailers, designers, and publications haven’t been able to do. Bloggers are a rare breed of creative types, entrepreneurs, dreamers, and fashion-forward thinkers. Do you want to know how to become a fashion blogger? Focus on two important things: creating quality content and building your brand. Here are 14 tips to help you do just that.
Readers won’t stop by your site unless you create quality content that keeps them coming back for more. Here are 7 tips to reel them in.
1. Find Your Niche. Before you can start a blog, you need to decide what makes you different from everyone else and focus on that. Set yourself apart by coming up with creative ways to stand out. If someone has already done it, go back to the drawing board—or your closet.
2. Name Your Blog. Coming up with a name is one of the hardest decisions to make when creating your blog. Take your time, and choose wisely. Pick something that defines you and your niche. It’s always a good idea to self-title or include your name. That way readers can build a relationship with the person behind the blog.
3. Buy Your Domain. As soon as you’ve settled on a blog name, buy your domain. For around $10 you can own your URL, making it easier for people to find you. Businesses will take you more seriously.
4. Hire a Web Designer. Your blog design is extremely important. If you’re not a web designer, I highly suggest hiring a professional to help. Create a user-friendly design. Nothing is more annoying than a website you can’t navigate. Simplicity is key. A stationary navigation bar gives your readers a place for reference if they want to explore your blog or social media spaces. And lastly, when it comes to blog design, readers prefer a black-and-white design. Plus, it allows your imagery stand out.
5. Invest in High-Quality Photography. It’s essential to invest in a DSLR camera to capture high-resolution images. Another way to ensure that your images are at their best is to make sure the widths are all the same size. If you publish pretty pictures, you will have repeat traffic to your site.
6. Let Your Personality Shine. When creating your blog, it’s vital to let your personality show through your copy, imagery, and social media spaces. It can be difficult for readers to connect with you through small tech screens, so do your best to show off your personality. The more they can relate to you, the more they’ll come back.
7. Plan and Set Goals. Consistency is key. Set realistic goals about how often you will post. You want to keep a steady publishing schedule so your readers know when to stop by your blog. If you post too sporadically, readers can lose interest and stop visiting. It’s also fundamental to create a publishing calendar to stay on top of holidays and crucial sale announcements.
Building Your Brand
After you’ve created a home for your blog, it’s time to start building a brand. These 7 tips will help you assemble a readership, start to monetize, and possibly lead to blogging full-time.
1. Social Media Is a Must. Social media plays a crucial part in building your following. Every blogger needs to have a Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter. Those are the most popular social platforms and the ones that brands will want you to have. Don’t spread yourself thin by jumping on every social space.
2. Set Up Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a powerful tool for monitoring and analyzing your website’s traffic. It lets you know who is visiting your site, what they’re looking for, and how they’re getting to your site. It also keeps count of your page views and unique visitors, which you’ll need for your media kit.
3. Build a Media Kit. Create a polished and professional media kit. It’s like a resume for your blog that informs potential sponsors about your mission. Your media kit should include a small paragraph about yourself, a small paragraph about your blog, your social media stats, blog stats, author rates, advertising rates, and how to get in contact with you via email and social media.
4. Working with Brands and Affiliates. In order to monetize your blog, you need to reach out and apply to affiliate programs. When emailing a brand, keep your message short and sweet. Always offer ideas of how you can work together. Brands and affiliates don’t have time to think of ways themselves. Make sure to apply to affiliate companies like RewardStyle, Mode Media, and StyeList. They are the middlemen to connect you with brands.
5. Stay the Course. Prepare to hear a lot of nos before a yes. Don’t get frustrated. It’s important to stay focused, continue to evolve, and keep up on the latest technology.
6. Networking Is Key. Networking is key to expanding your brand. An important aspect of networking is business cards. Make sure you create business cards for your blog because they’re a great way to quickly give someone all of your contact information. If you’re looking for ways to network, here are a few good options: joining a local blogging network, guest posting, contributing to a blog or magazine, getting involved in your community’s fashion scene, attending a blogging conference such as Go Blog Social, or attending New York Fashion Week.
7. Know about SEO. Another great way to grow your brand is through SEO, or search engine optimization. This will help your content get noticed. Learn more about SEO here.