As I enter my sixth month of pregnancy, I’ve realized that there have been quite a few surprises. Some of them have come completely out of blue, others I had heard stories of or read about, but all of them have taken me by surprise in one way or another.
1. The Heartburn. Ah yes, we all know the old wives tale that lots of heartburn means a nice, hairy little baby. Well, if this is true, then I am fairly certain that I have a monkey developing inside of me. I get heartburn when I’m eating, sleeping, exercising, working, relaxing, and any time in between. I have always been proud to say that up until now I have had a digestive tract like a garbage disposal. Before pregnancy, I could eat anything I wanted with out a drop of acid entering my esophagus. Alas, those days are over and I am left popping Tums like candy and wondering if I’m going to have to wax my daughter’s unibrow before she’s five.
2. The Awkwardness. I now know what a beached whale feels like. Enough said.
3. The Strange Dreams. The mind is an incredible thing. Not only does my conscious mind think constantly about the baby, but my subconscious does too. Last night alone I had a dream of going into preterm labor, a dream that I slept through the first year of her life, and a dream that my baby girl was born a mouse a la Stuart Little. Even my husband and family have had strange dreams about the baby (if you’re expecting and having strange dreams, chances are your family is too- bring it up and start some dream swapping, it can get pretty hilarious).
4. The Belly Rubbing. I would love to find a maternity shirt that says “Buddha Belly”. I think he’s probably the only one who can sympathize with what a pregnant woman goes through.
5. The Joy. Never in my life have I been happier or felt love like I feel for the little girl growing inside of me. I hope she can feel how much her father and I love her, and how much we can’t wait to meet our beautiful Isabella Maria.
By MamaSandoval, Barefoot & Pregnant
Originally published on Barefoot & Pregnant