Tribute from Tragedy: 28 Ways to Live Life Like a 1st Grader
by Melanie Potock, GalTime.com
SANDY HOOK: WE WILL NEVER FORGET…
I’ve been thinking over the past week on how to remember the children and teachers so tragically taken from their families and community at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Today, it occurred to me that there are some simple things I can do to keep their memory and spirit alive. In 2013, I promise to embrace life more like a first grader. Never forget to be a kid. Here are just some of the things I plan to do in the new year:
- Stop in my tracks and squeal at the sight of anything furry:squirrel, neighbor’s dog, or the ring of fur on my best friend's winter hood.
- Learn to read…new books, that is.Something happy – something meaningful, like, "Oh, The Places You’ll Go" by Dr. Seuss.
- Sing silly songs. Loud…in public.
- Eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich masterfully created with a dinosaur cookie cutter. This will make any co-worker at any office jealous and he will ask his mom for the same lunch.
- Break into random acts of dancing in the most quiet places, like the doctor’s office.
RELATED Shy Kids: Tips for Introducing Children to New Experiences
- Use words like “sparkly.”
- SKIP. Everywhere.
- Gallop if you love horses. Skipping is so over-rated when you can gallop.
- Buy a Whoopee cushion and burst out laughing every single time someone sits on it.Whoopee cushions never, never get old.
- Finger paint. Do crafts. But first, let go of perfection.
- Hold it up and yell, “I made this for you!” and then give it to a stranger.
- Bring an apple to a teacher.
- Stomp in a puddle.
- Make a homemade card to brighten someone’s day.
RELATED Three Kid-Inspired Lessons To Live By
- Eat snow.
- Open your lunch in front of co-workers and announce, “I got a juice box today!”
- State emphatically every 20 minutes “I’m hungry”. Oh wait, I already do that.
- Dress up. Wear party shoes even when there is no party.
- Take every opportunity to play…especially in the rain.
- Truly believe in the power of a found penny (head-side up, of course).
- Demand a full set of birthday candles on my cake EVERY year, and blow them out with vigor.
- Lick the spoon.
- Hold the door open for the rest of the line behind me.
- Never ever walk by a playground without stopping to swing.
- Go to the library.
- Post things that I am proud of on my refrigerator.
- Hug my Mom and Dad.
Other ideas on living life with joy…like a kid? Let us know in your comments!