by admin


My husband and I are expecting triplets. We are currently twenty-three weeks and our due date is June 10. Since triplets usually come around thirty-two weeks, I’m hoping for any time in May.

I am thirty-two years old and we have a beautiful two-and-a-half-year-old son at home named Jacob. He was born past his due date at nine pounds, ten ounces, and twenty-two inches, on March 19, 2008.

My husband and I were only partially trying for a second baby when we found out we were pregnant in October. We were very excited. We confirmed the pregnancy on November 4 and with the first ultrasound on November 9 (nine weeks pregnant), we found out there are three healthy babies in there. Naturally made!

Runs in the family …
Evidently multiples run in my family on my dad’s side. I recently found my dad and his family when I was twenty-six years old. They are wonderfully loving people and have brightened my life tremendously. You would never know that we spent all those years not knowing each other existed. So, when multiples, or twins, runs in your family, you would probably know that all your life … but I didn’t.

The ultrasound …
On the day of the ultrasound, my poor husband had very important meetings at work and couldn’t attend it with me. So my sister came with me. I must admit we sort of took for granted that it would be a similar experience to when we were expecting our first son, Jacob. We thought for sure we would go and see a little “beanie baby” on the screen with a heartbeat. Which is a miracle, for sure, and not to be taken for granted by any means. But Adam couldn’t make it and I didn’t want to be too upset about it. So, my wonderful sister Mary came with me.

As it goes, I am a strong believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason. It worked out so well. When we got to the appointment at 9:30 a.m. we were called to the ultrasound room with the tech, and at 9:40 a.m. we were ready. My friends at the office wanted me to videotape the ultrasound so they could hear the heartbeat. So I had my cell phone in my hand as I lay on the table. In front of me on the wall was a wonderfully clear wall mounted flat screen monitor for easy viewing. Very nice! Well, with my phone in my hand, the tech put the thing on my stomach and I immediately saw two babies!

I gasped for breath and I said, “There’s two?” and my sister said, “Twins?” in such a high pitch that I dropped my cell phone … LOL.

I picked it back up … I couldn’t believe it! I pressed record again and you can hear the ultrasound tech say, “Oh my gosh … are you fertility?” and I said, “No … there is only two in there right?”

She said, “There’s three.” My sister said, “Please make sure before you scare her!”

I dropped the phone again …

Thank God I was already lying down because it all got fuzzy after that. I could feel all the color leave my face. This couldn’t be right … I was sure it was a dream and I’d wake up any time now … but I never did.

The ultrasound tech (she was so nice) went on to measure all three babies’ size and heartbeats. They were all perfect in there. Babies A and B measured a day older than Baby C. And to my surprise, they were more than “beanie babies!” They all had arms and legs and were wiggling around in there. It was amazing. We were nine weeks, four days pregnant.

By 9:45 a.m., my life would never be the same.
Adam didn’t even know at this point. He didn’t get home from work until 8:30 p.m.

As it works out, Mary said all the right things to make me feel better, and poor Adam would’ve probably hit the floor. LOL.

My sister and I left the doctor’s office and went straight to our Mama’s house. She’s elderly now, seventy-one years old, and we almost lost her last year. She is special, and absolutely the best single mother any two girls only eighteen months apart could have ever had. We went over there and showed her the ultrasound picture. Her reaction was, “Three babies? Oh baby … That’s a lot of babies!”

We went to lunch and afterward I needed to return to work.

During the day, Adam texted a few times asking how I was doing and how the ultrasound went. He wanted me to text him the picture (assuming it would be a single beanie baby). I stalled, not wanting to tell him this unbelievable news via text or over the phone. I told him the picture was blurry and he could see it when he got home.

I planned to prepare his favorite dinner that night before showing him the ultrasound pictures. This plan was going perfectly until we experienced a power outage. Our area is still recovering from Hurricane Katrina in 2005. 

So I picked up Jacob from preschool and decided to cook via candlelight. With the windows open and all but the unity candle from our wedding lit, I prepared his dinner on our gas stove. Entergy said that the lights would be back on by 8:00 p.m. so it would be fine.

Well by 7:00 p.m. my cell phone was almost completely dead and with no electricity to plug it into I couldn’t charge it. With the very last bit of battery I sent a text message to Adam explaining that we lost power, my phone was dying, but the power should be back on by 8:00. He replied suggesting that I take Jacob to CiCi’s pizza to get out of the dark house. I agreed. So after his dinner was ready we left. Luckily my sister lives eight houses away around the corner. We took her twelve-year-old daughter Carli and Jacob to Cici’s Pizza. By this time my phone had completely died.

While at the pizza place, I found an outlet to charge my phone with—it was like I lived there. By 8:00 p.m., my phone came back to life just enough to text Adam that Entergy says the lights won’t be back on now till 10:00 p.m., but that I did cook. So he didn’t have to pick anything up on his way home. By the time he got home, at 8:30, he still didn’t know the news about the triplets.

With all the candles lit, the windows open, and Jacob around the corner at Mary’s house, Adam made his plate.

Now, by this time Jacob had broken all the real flashlights, and only the toy flashlights worked. We had “Flicker” from HandyManny, and a little tiger that when you squeeze his tail it roars!

So, as Adam sat with his plate of homemade dinner, and the house so romantically illuminated and fragrant, he asked to see the ultrasound picture. I told him not to worry about it and to eat his dinner. Well, by this time he knew I was putting him off, and seriously asked with a straight face, “Is everything all right? Is it twins?” and I said, “No silly, it’s not twins.”

So he said, “Well let me see it then.”

“Okay babe.” So with the tiger flashlight that roared, I shone the light on the picture with all three babies. Adam’s face lost all color. Now I know what I looked like all day. We were both straight faced.

He said, “Triplets? Three? That’s three babies?” and I said, “Yes, it’s triplets, there’s three in there and they have arms and legs and they’re wiggling around.”

He said, “We need a bigger house … I need some air.”

Needless to say he didn’t finish his dinner. He was very excited and couldn’t wait to call our friends and family. We called his dad first. We lost his mother when I was twenty-three weeks pregnant with Jacob. Her only grandbaby. He came out looking just like Adam, which was her first baby. I truly wish she could have seen him. His dad, Tom, lives just eight blocks away and is very excited about the news. Can’t wait!

The idea of triplets has sunken in more and more over the last several weeks.

We now see both a specialist and my regular OB. And at seventeen weeks we did another ultrasound to find that they are two boys and a girl.

Turns out Baby C is the girl, and that’s probably why she’s a little smaller than the other two.

We are so excited! We have been getting ready slowly but surely.