Menu Join now Search

Is Your Pregnancy Weight Gain Normal?

I hope you're feeling WELL!

Everyday I get hundreds of emails with questions about pregnancy. And I’m sure it’s no surprise to you that one of the BIGGEST topics is Weight Gain.

I know it’s hard not to keep counting the pounds – especially when you’re constantly being weighed at the doctor’s office and sized up by EVERYONE around you (ie, your tummy’s grown a lot, you look small, you look big, etc. etc.)!

But there is a way through, and I CAN show you how…

First thing you need to remember is that every pregnancy is different! Some women gain TONS (50+ pounds), while others gain very little (15 pounds). I personally gained 43 pounds (Yep! You read that right!).

So, really, how much weight should YOU gain during your pregnancy?

The “medical” answer actually lies in your pre-pregnancy body weight. How much weight you should gain depends on whether you were underweight, average weight or overweight before you were pregnant.

For example, (according to the charts) at 6’1” and 132 pounds you are classified as underweight. This means a healthy weight gain for you would be between 28 to 45 pounds.

Sound like a LOT? It is, BUT there are a couple of things you have to remember.

Firstly, not ALL of your weight gain is FAT! Some of that weight gain is:

• baby (6-8 lbs),
• placenta (1.5 lbs),
• amniotic fluid (2 lbs),
• uterine enlargement (2 lbs),
• maternal blood volume (3-4 lbs),
• maternal breast tissue (1-2 lb),
• maternal body fluid (4 lbs) and
• maternal fat stores (roughly 7 lbs).

Secondly, weight gain is HEALTHY; it means your baby is growing nicely. If you’re active, eating healthy, following my program and not taking your pregnancy for granted (a lot of people use pregnancy as a ticket to eat everything and anything that they want by binging on chocolate, ice cream, and deserts), your weight gain during pregnancy and your weight loss afterwards will NOT be an issue.

Your body is resilient! It will bounce back if you treat it well (of course you can allow yourself the occasional indulgence and NOT feel guilty!).

Most importantly though – try not to get too hung up on the weight gain charts. Use the numbers as GUIDELINES only and try not to weigh yourself too often - in fact, I recommend only weighing-in at the doctor’s office.

To Sum Up:
Weight gain during pregnancy is a hard thing to get your head around and we ALL have our moments of ‘panic’ – but rather than letting those moments consume your thoughts – allow them to take up 5% of your energy and use the other 95% to work on feeling beautiful and sexy!

Your pregnancy journey is ONLY 40 weeks – don’t forget to enjoy the ride!

http:www.pregnancywithoutpounds.com

More You'll Love

Close