The New Year is here! Have you set your New Year’s resolutions? Is one of them to save money or pay off debt? I would like to share with you ten ways for moms to save money in the New Year! Simple tasks that will help you reap the benefits for months to come.
1. Shop around for car insurance! Many companies out there have high rates and you may be unaware of the savings you are missing out on. I would recommend looking online as well as your local insurance companies. You will also find you will receive cheaper rates if you have multiple vehicles on a policy.
2. Make a grocery list and stick to it. Before you run to the store, look through your cupboards and come up with a list of the things you actually need. No impulse buying!
3. Use coupons. This is a challenge for some. But you’ll find there are coupons for everything from developing photos online to a meal at a local fast-food restaurant to groceries. There are also many coupon websites that will allow you to print off coupons that you know your family will use.
4. Evaluate your phone plans. Many people I come into contact are unaware that there are unlimited long-distance calling plans out there. Your local phone company may not want you to know this, but you can find a better deal. It does take time to call the companies and find out all of the details, but you’ll be glad you have spent that time when you see your next phone bill.
5. Find a local cosmetology school and save on your haircuts. You’ll be helping students learn their trade as well as getting a hair cut for as little as $8!
6. Buy store-brand baby diapers. Diapers are just that, diapers. There is no need to have the most expensive brand to catch your little one’s poop, right? You’ll be able to save about $10 by buying a box of store-brand diapers instead of the name brands.
7. Don’t pay for babysitting for a night out. Trade with a friend or neighbor who has children nearby. This allows you to have time out, you know your kids are safe and you’re allowing your friend to have the same peace the next time she has an event.
8. Shop online! You’ll be able to compare items from one store to the next. You’ll also find that most online sores have a sale or clearance section. I recently bought an $18 outfit for my daughter online for $4.60. Now that’s thinking smart! Don’t forget to find those coupon codes while checking out online as well.
9. Start a savings account. We often over look the value of having money put away for a rainy day. If you saved just $5 each week that would be an extra $260 in your bank account at the end of the year.
10. Lastly, pay your bills on time. This will eliminate costly late charges and fees. It will also keep your credit in good standings.
Here’s to the New Year and saving some money along the way!